If you're like me, you love the martial arts. I don't practice as much as I used to these days due to circumstances with work and life but I still love Karate.
People are often shocked to hear that I have over 9000 instagram followers and get between 3000 to 50,000 views on each video that I post. Often I'll get a ton of comments as well and some new followers, possibly a DM or two.
If you're looking to grow your instagram following using Karate, I have some secrets that will give you a huge boost in social connections using the for you page.
From what I've seen on my own page analytics, it will always start with your immediate friend group or followers. Instagram will test run your post to your existing followers as determine how much publicity to give it based on these factors:
All of these factors are super important, but I actually think Shares might be the number one out of the bunch. Just a hunch but it seems to usually get me the biggest jump in plays on videos.
Once you do really well amongst your friend group, Instagram might gift your content to the Discover Page or the For You Page as some call it based on TikTok's lingo.
The next steps are crucial to continuing to maximize your post reach and engagement. Here's the secrets on getting more likes on instagram using Karate or martial arts.
1. Make a Short but Cool video that people will want to watch over and over again. Create something unique that catches the eye or makes a viewer think, "Wait, how did they do that?". This will help boost your watch time and possibly even earn a comment from your viewer.
2. Start your Post Title with a Witty Phrase or Question. Asking your viewer something like you're speaking to them will get them ready to engage with you, whether you're already friends or not. People love to make new friends and instagram is a great way to connect with people all over the world who have similar interests. Ask questions that relate to your content that ask viewers to share their personal experiences.
3. Use exactly 30 hashtags from among the top related categories. Choose #karate and #martialarts, even something specific like if your doing a high round house kick in your photo on a Friday post #facekickfriday. Using 30 creative and relevant martial arts tags will help your post reach people who also post content with these hashtags and they're much more likely to like or engage with your post than someone who is posting #superbowl or #electionday. Keep it relevant and focus on gaining an audience who enjoys your content.
You want to choose 30 hashtags because this is the maximum instagram will allow. It also maximizes your potential reach as well. Don't be lazy and only put 5, take the time to think up 30 unique and relevant hashtags. Maybe copy them to a notepad on your device for the future.
4. Comment responses back to your viewers immediately, then follow them back and comment on their photo or video. Nobody likes that friend who doesn't listen and just waits until you're done talking to completely change the subject. Don't be greedy or egotistical and not talk to your potential new friends when they reach out. Instagram is all about connecting and chances are that if you take the time to engage with a new friend, you'll earn comments and likes on your new posts from here on out. Life is all about give and take, many people fail because they only want to take and not give.
5. Follow relevant people and comment on their posts. This one is simple, follow someone you admire in the martial arts world and start commenting on their posts. You'll notice a few people that comment on their posts as well, these people are definitely interested in Karate and are active on IG so give them a follow too and comment on their posts. Now you'll increase your organic following with people who enjoy your content, watch it and most likely engage with it in multiple ways. This helps you in the A/B Instagram testing phase and will more than likely land you on the discover page.
Did you love this article and the free tip? I hope this helped you and if you ever need just 1 extra Martial Arts friend, feel free to add me @theamericansamurai and we can be pals on instagram. I'll throw some hearts on your posts and take the time to comment on something I find cool or interesting. Life is all about friendships and having fun, it's too short to take it seriously.
You'll be surprised that most of the martial arts community is comprised of nice and amazing people. Even if they are Bruce Lee ripped or scary looking on the outside, most Karate practitioners are very respectful and kind.
If you need help learning Karate or sharpening your skills be sure to check out the free membership we offer.
Free Memberships Offer Access to Hidden Martial Arts Content including Beginner Level Karate Training Videos, The History Section, Work Out Instructions, Testing Requirement, and the ability to Join Our World Renowned Tournament Team.
Premium Memberships Unlock Hidden Content including All Levels of Training Videos (White Belt to Black Belt), The History Section, Work Out Instructions, Testing Requirements, The Ability to Test for Rankings, Weapons (RyuKyu Kobudo) Training Instructional Videos, Iaido (Sword) Instructional Training Videos, Self Defense Videos, and the ability to Join Our World Renowned Tournament Team.
About the Author:
Colton Woodard is a 7th Degree Black Belt in Kuniba Kai Karate Do and holds the title of Kyoshi as well. He loves to teach Karate, Kobudo, and Iaido and considers himself a lifetime student in pursuit of self improvement in both Martial Arts and in Character. Colton loves to visit Japan and speaks conversational Japanese and can write quite a few Kanji. He is a Karate competitor and coach and loves to exercise and make new memories with people all over the world.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn commissions by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.