At least Ten one-inch thick boards will be broken with
techniques specified by the Chief Instructor (adults only).
* Demonstrate several kumite waza and there application.
* Be prepared to demonstrate the bunkai to all previous and current kata.
* Bunkai thoroughly one kata of your choice. Kata must be of equal rank or higher.
* Demonstrate several self defense combinations using any of the blocks, strikes and kicks from previous lessons
against a prescribed attack. Several of the self defense techniques will be against a club attack.
* Written Exam - Be able to relate information and knowledge of our dojo, affiliate organizations, history,
terminology, and key personnel involved.
Minimum time in grade - 6 months
IIKYU 1ST KYU BROWN BELT REQUIREMENTS FOR THE NKKF
IKKYU 1ST KYU KATA: FORMS
Chinto Kata may be the most challenging kata in the enitre ShitoRyu Curriculum when it comes to balance. Chinto kata was created by a chinese sailor / pirate who shipwrecked on the island of Okinawa in the 17th century. It was the famous Matsumura, Sokon Matsumura, creator of katas Bassai/Passai and many more, direct student of Kusanku and Sakugawa that was sent to investigate the appearance of crimes. It appeared Chinto, also known as Annan, was an even match for Sokon Matsumura, and they traded freedom and necessities in exchange for teaching of his evasive and unique fighting skills.
Jiin and Jion Kata are quite similar and fall within the meaning of being Temple Kata of the Jionji Temple, a shoalin monastery, famous for Tomari Te Karate. The origin are unclear but these kata all begin with the chinese monk hand greeting, and follow a similar pattern. The kata focus on large stances and rigid technique concentrating on destructive force.